my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Thursday, December 14, 2006

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?

Playing hundreds of tennis matches over the course of the next year is going to be one major undertaking. I can already tell that I am going to have to constantly be searching for opponents. Rain days, cancellations and injuries are going to make me have to hustle even harder to get to my goal, and I am going to be on the run a lot. On the plus side, I'm going to play lots and lots of tennis, and I think I may be starting to get up to speed with the pace I am going to need to keep.

Last night I had another cancellation. Oh well, at least I have four matches scheduled (so far) for this weekend. That should bring me close to par, if none of them get cancelled for some reason. And, every match in which I split sets counts one-and-a-half times as much. I've never before had splitting sets be a desirable result before. But I'm a grinder. I like to play long matches anyway.

I have been perfectly happy with most of my matches, win or lose. My attitude is such that I'll try not to beat up on myself when I lose; I'll just figure I got a good workout and look for stuff that I can improve on or learn from. Of course, sometimes emotions do run away and I might get pissed off at myself. So far during this series that hasn't happen. Hopefully when I finish this series I will have gained something from it. At the least, I'll be another year older, barring unforeseen violence, flesh-eating bacteria, or something else that drops from the sky to snuff me out.

No comments: