my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Fog Takes Over--Bleah...

Sets 28-29 (of 365)

Stuart vs. S. at Pharr Winner: Stuart 6-3, 6-1

My Mojo: Amnesia

Jeez, it's only been a few hours since we played this match, but I can't think of many distiguishing characteristics about it. Is it all starting to run together? Did I even get the score right? Did somebody slip something into my water?

Actually, I do remember the match. I just can't think of much to say about it that stands out in my mind. I have an excuse, though. I was distracted and shaken, because right before playing, some parent I had never met called me and made some shrill accusations over the phone about something my daughter allegedly did to her daughter. I tried to get a calm, factual discussion going, and tried to indicate that I considered my daughter innocent until proven guilty, but I couldn't get anywhere with that, and I ended up hanging up on her after warning her that I was going to hang up if she could not suspend her accusatory tone. Then I called my daughter, and wanted to know her side of the story, and she hung up on me, as I was probably being kind of pushy about wanting to know what happened. I only had a few minutes to decompress in between getting off work and starting the match, and that is how I spent that time.

So I was kind of preoccupied for most of the match. But through the haze of all this, I ended up winning. And I do know that I would have played more, if he had wanted to; either just hit tennis balls or played another set or two before my group lesson. He seemed kind of upset with his performance, though I thought he got some good stuff happening at times.

It's sort of coming back to me now...OK, I hit the ball a bunch of times, and he hit it back. But what did he do wrong, or what did I do right, that made me win? I swear, I am drawing a blank. Must be early Alzheimer's or mad cow or something like that. I hate to have played a match that I don't have something clear to have taken out of it, but there it is. I guess when I'm going to play a bunch of matches, I better type something right afterward, or I risk losing the magic. That can't be the whole story, because I know I've typed some entries a day or two afterwards. Maybe I actually need some distance sometimes.

The group lesson afterward with R. (7 of 10) is almost equally nondescript in my mind. I would have played more after that, too, but nobody wanted to stay and hit. Maybe it's a good thing that my muscle memory could improve even though my actual memory isn't registering.

Maybe tomorrow I'll remember some stuff, and I'll come back and rewrite this entry. There has to be something to say. But I'm tired now. Gonna go to sleep. Bleah.

No comments: