my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Taking One For The Imaginary Team

Sets 18-19 (of 365):

Stuart vs. Y.at Patterson Park. Winner: Stuart 6-1, 6-2
Ladder Match #3

My Mojo: Average

Still windy but sunnier than it was this morning. I think it was sunny the whole time even though I saw a few clouds in the sky.

Free courts rock. Playing tennis for free is the best, next to not waking up dead in the morning. The courts at Patterson Park aren't perfect. The net is weird, the courts are concrete, and the lines are not easily seen on the white surface. But, hey, the operative word is FREE. No payment required. Woo-hoo.

So this is the second match I have played today on free courts. The tennis centers are nice, don't get me wrong. Fantastic courts and way cool lights.

I won this match, but I didn't feel like I did anything spectacular to win. Just went out there and did muh job, ma'am. Kept hitting the ball back and got it in more than the other guy. 'Nuff said.

Well, maybe I'll say a little more. I didn't feel like I got much better or much worse as the match went on, though I did ebb and flow a little. I did do a good job a few times of drawing him out to one side and then shooting the ball down the other side after he was too far on the other side of the court. I guess I've had that done to me enough by better players that maybe I'm starting to pick it up? He did get some boffo bloddy mojo for a couple of games and even skunked me one in the second set. Well, I guess I had to take one for the team. Wait, there is no team.

My serves were nothing spectacular but I didn't double fault. They got in and did their job, but nuthin' fancy happened. I did pretty good when I got to net but he did get a couple shots by me--just passing shots to the side. I think he tried one offensive lob that fell short and I shot it down an unreachable part of the court. Don't you hate it when your lobs fall short and give your opponent a good overhead? Unless he pulls a "thank you Jesus" and slams it into the net, that is.

No comments: