my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Saturday, February 24, 2007

In With The Wind

Sets 118-119 (of 365):

Stuart vs. A. at Northwest Park. Winner: Stuart 6-2, 6-1
Alternate Ladder Match #2

My Mojo: Fighting The Wind, Doing OK

It was incredibly windy today. A. won the first two games and then didn't win any more in the first set and only one in the second set. It seemed like he was having a harder time with the wind than I was, even though I was getting frustrated with what seemed like a third player in our match. He got in a few winners on me, though, when he was able to cut through the wind, and he had this serve that I had a hard time dealing with. It wasn't especially hard or tricky, it just seemed to pop right into my body every time, so I ended up returning it from really awkward positions every time. I was just trying to stay afloat and hit shots that made it within the lines, which was hard enough in the wind. On one side, I had to tap it lightly to avoid sending the ball long, and on the other, I had to hit it high enough to not go into the net. It was a delicate balancing act, but I ended up able to read the wind well enough to get on top for most of the match.

"But that [a two-handed backhand shot] won't give me a free hand to hold the beer!" --Billy Carter

No comments: