my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Friday, April 20, 2007

My Focus Blurred For A Little While, But I Did What I Needed To Do

Sets 180-181:

Stuart vs. A. at the Quarries. Winner: Stuart 6-1, 6-3.

My Mojo: Average

I showed up a few minutes early and there was one court open, so I was able to hold it. My opponent was about twenty minutes late. I was going to give it another five minutes or so, but as she came up to the courts, I was glad that she showed up so we could play. I don't like it when an opponent does not show up, but luckily that has only happened a few times.

I didn't seem to get many spectacular shots happening here, but I got shots across that did the job. Against a stronger player, I don't know if I would have pulled it out. But then again, I tend to tailor my play more to the opponent I am playing. So maybe I would have played differently against someone with more pace.

My opponent let out a loud cry every time she hit the ball. This was consistent throughout the warm-up and the match. At first, it was a little disconcerting to me, but I got used to it. I did notice some strange looks from other courts, though.

The first set was pretty straightforward and I managed to take an easy lead throughout the set. I didn't feel like I was putting a lot of effort into each shot or into my positioning on the court, and my strokes were smooth and simple. My opponent was doing a lot of running as I was able to plan my shots' placement to make her move. I did a little bit of moving, but didn't have to do much.

In the second set, I started playing much as I had in the first, and soon I was up 3-0. However, after this, I lost some focus, and my opponent also started coming back with more decent shots, so she won the next three games to bring it to 3-3. When my focus came back, I was able to win the next three games and win the match without much trouble.

No comments: