my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Monday, January 15, 2007

Problematic Weather

The weather is posing a problem for me. It is definitely not conducive to tennis. I mean, I would go out and play right now on the ice, but I don't seem to be able to talk anybody else into it. Since Friday morning, it has been raining like crazy. I had a ladder match set up on Friday night, and we both went to the site, but it was way too wet. Dang it, I really wanted to play. He indicated he might not be able to play me this round, since he is only in town on weekends, and he has to schedule his other two matches around this weather that doesn't look like it will let up much for a while. Crap. I challenged him on the ladder, he is about ten rungs up from me, and I would like to move up to where I have competitive games. I mean, he might beat me, but if I beat him, I can move up faster than a snail's pace. It's not that I mind winning the games that I have played so far, but I want some challenge in my ladder games. At least I'm getting some opponents in my non-ladder games that are challenging me. Oh well, I guess I'll challenge somebody else the next ladder round.

On Saturday morning, it was hugely flooding. My electricity went out for about an hour and a half, so I decided to try to venture out in the nasty weather. I couldn't get farther than just a few blocks. Just a block away, the creek was flowing like a river over the street. It looked like it was about two feet deep, and raging brown water. I kept driving in several different directions after being forced to turn away from various and sundry weather emergencies, and finally made it to a convenience store (after driving through some rushing water that was a little deeper than I probably should have driven through in my little car), where I bought a newspaper, and trekked back home to sit in the dark. Well, at least it was daytime, so it wasn't that dark. I opened the blinds and let some light in and read the paper by the light coming in through the window. It was obvious I wasn't going anywhere else until the rain died down.

And now, this morning it froze over, so now the streets and sidewalks are sheets of ice. I haven't played tennis since last Wednesday, and now it's Monday. Dang, I wish I had set something up for Thursday. It was the last day before the rain. Not only that, but I forgot about the Thursday night group lessons at Pharr. I just spaced out completely. I didn't remember until it was almost 8:30, and by that time it was almost over. Bad juju. Boy, am I going to have to double up for a while once this clears up to get back on track.

So I've been spending a lot of time at the gym to make up for the exercise I am missing out on by not being able to play tennis. I've been lifting weights, getting aerobic stuff in, stretching, and doing various and sundry other exercise-related stuff. Yesterday I spent nearly an hour on the rowing machine. I love that machine because I gives you an aerobic workout that involves your whole body, not just your legs like most of the other aerobic stuff. And, it doesn't seem to be very popular, so I can get on it just about any time. Most people like the treadmills or the ellipticals. I gotta admit, I like the elliptical machines too, but the rowing machine kicks ass. I hate the treadmill. If you're gonna run, why not see scenery while you're doing it? I'll have to go on a nice run once the weather clears up. Also, this weekend I've had time to take long steambaths and saunas afterwards. Life is good, even if I can't play tennis right now.

The hell with it, why wait to run? I think I'll go for a run right now. Cold be damned. Let's see if I slip on the ice and bust my head open [maniacal cackle].

No comments: