my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Sunday, January 21, 2007

More Observations

Something really bad happened to my daughter last night. I don't really want to talk about it here, but playing tennis is helping me.

It is gorgeous outside and probably will be all day. Blue sky and sunshine is out there for the first time in couple of weeks. So, of course, I am trying to hustle up a match or two to play today. It is harder to get matches on short notice, but it is doable. I just have to email a lot of people and hope one of them can make time on the spur of the moment to play.

This has got me thinking about what it takes to try to reach a goal like I am trying to reach, that is, play a humongous amount of games over a protracted period of time. There will be some obstactles:

1. The weather. It does not always do what you want it to do. It may rain for days on end, it might destroy everything in sight with a tornado or a tsunami (though I would be a bit surprised to see a tsunami in Austin). You have to work around what Mother Nature gives ya, and for the last couple of weeks, Ma Na has not been good to tennis 'round here. Of course, there has been this drought thing in place that the rain is helping out a lot, so there's always an upside.

2. My limitations. I know that I'll have some injury or illness sideline me at some point. I've already run into just being worn out from pushing myself to play more and more,and kind of cycling into a low place.

3. Other people's limitations. Some people don't want to play as much, and some people have trouble working around their schedules. And, frankly, some people are probably getting sick of me constantly trying to fish up opponents. A couple of people have already told me to quit contacting them. I don't have a huge pool of people yet, so I have been having to go back to some of the same people over and over. Most don't mind, but some see it, I'm sure, as varying degrees of imposition.

No comments: