my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It's Still a Weather Thing

The weather is still nasty. Now it has been frozen for about two days, with sleet and ice storms. There is ice everywhere and it's still way fruzz. Most businesses have been closed for the last two days, including my workplace. Of course, Monday was MLK day, so a lot of those places would have been closed anyway. That worked out well.

I spent almost all day yesterday driving around. It didn't seem that bad to me. That's me, I hear people on the news saying "Nobody should go out under any circumstances," and I spend the whole day putzin' around outside. Sure, I slid around a little, but for the most part, I did OK. I even tried to go to work, but it was locked, and I couldn't get in. I went over to Manor (about fifteen miles outside of Austin) and picked up my duaghter.

At least the gym was open, that is, until last night. Every time I went there in the last few days, they were available. But last night, I went to two different gyms, and one was closed, and another was just closing. Then I got on 183, which is this highway that is mostly raised way above the ground, and it was solid ice. I drove really slowly. It was probably insane for anyone to be on it (I only saw two other vehicles on it the whole time I was on it and they were BIG truck-chassis thingys, maybe four-wheel-drive transpo, as opposed to my tiny car) and I am surprised that they let anyone on it at all. But when I wanted to get off, at least they had the exit blocked off for safety. Great. Here I am stuck on a deathtrap highway. Can't go too fast because I'll slide out of control and slip off the edge, and can't go too slow because I'll lost momentum and get stuck. And I did see a couple of abandoned cars on the way. I'm pretty sure that they did the "get stuck" thing. Oh, well, might as well make the most of it. So I went another four miles or so before I got off, and made it home. Ha, ha, beat death again.

Looked outside, and it is still frozen and icy. I think I'll ride my bicycle to work when it opens at noon. I definitely can't run to work because I'm sure I'll slip and fall on the ice somewhere on the way (probably about four miles or so). Nothin' like a little bike luge to get the day started.

No comments: