my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Doing Better

Group Lesson At Pharr with K. (10 of 10):

My Mojo: Above-Average At First, Fizzled At The End.

According to my previous posts, this should be 9 of 10 but I'll go ahead and count it as 10 of 10 since I am not sure if I forgot to record one day. Since I get a discount for paying for ten up front, I'm getting a good deal, and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, just like I would give an opponent a line call that I am not sure about.

I felt like I was hitting pretty well for the first time today. I had a good deal of confidence, and not too many errors. We spent a good deal of the session playing two-court king-of-the-court, and I spent most of the time in the champion position on the top court, and never did drop to the second court. The instructor was playing in too, and of course, he was taking it somewhat easy on us, I'm sure. Every once in a while he walloped in some monster serves, but he looked like he was not putting in full effort. At the end of this, and as the class was at an end, I was in the champion position (we had moved to just one court because a player had left). The instructor said we would stay until somebody knocked me off, and if nobody knocked me off all day, we would stay all day. Well, I stayed there for about ten minutes, and nobody knocked me off, until the instructor stepped in and knocked me out. I think I lasted longer than he thought I would agaoinst the students, so he stepped in.

Afterwards, S. and I went across the street to the free courts to hit some more, as all the courts at Pharr were taken. I started out decent, but lost energy quickly. I had not brought water because there is usually a big water cooler at the Pharr lessons, but it was not there today. So I didn't drink any water until the end of the lesson, when I had to take a break to go into the clubhouse and get some water. So by the end of all this practice I was pretty parched and dehydrated, I was also hungry enough to be out of fuel, and I was not quite up to my usual (pre-injury) level of play. So three strikes were against me. Still, I played from 11 a.m. until about 1:30 in the afternoon with the lesson and the practice with S. afterwards, which was not too bad.

No comments: