my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Getting One More Ball Back Most Of The Time

Sets 401-402:

Stuart v. W. at IBM. Winner: Stuart 6-3, 6-1.

My Mojo: Holding The Fort Down.

I like playing at IBM; they have really nice courts and also good lights.  It is a little out of my way, but what the heck.  But you have to work there to be able to use the courts.  At night that is truly enforceable because you can only turn on the lights with your employee badge.

For the first set, it seemed like we were locking horns a lot.  He was getting some good shots on me, and I got some on him.  I even felt at the beginning of the set that he had a slight edge but I was able to raise my level of play slowly and incrementally just enough to take the control of the court toward the end of the set.  So I ended up winning the first set even though I felt like we had been close to even at first.  

In the second set, I was able to hold most of the games.  I think he may have been getting tired, and he seemed to make more errors.  So I can't really say it was spectacular play on my part that created the winning margin for me in this set.  But it did help that I made few errors, and got most of the stuff back.  I guess winning just basically means getting one more ball back than you opponent, and that's what I did most of the time.

No comments: