my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Light Banter Among The Gazelles

Sets 337-338:

Stuart v. S. at Travis Country. Winner: Stuart 6-2, 6-4.

My Mojo: Heavy On Defense.

This opponent had a lot of move. I told her that, panting, on one of the changeovers. She asked me if I meant that she was moving around a lot or if she was making me run around on the court a lot. It really applied to both. Not only was she getting good court coverage, but she was playing me all over the court. But that is my game. To run like a wild animal all over the dang place, looking like I can barely get to the ball, when I hit the impossible shots from the very tip of my racquet. I thought this match was much closer than the score reflected.

S. was also very bright, sparkly and talkative on the changeovers, and that was definitely a different stroke for me...most of my (male) opponents are just kinda all business--let's get out there, and pound that ball, and get it done. But the conversation added a sense of a series of half-time tea parties to the match. Reminded me of how when I used to watch my daughter play with all of her junior tennis partners, how they would have a lot of light banter on the changeovers, and if they could get away with it, they would take long, chatty breaks. But I digress.

The second match was even closer, and I was even running around more, and she was getting around better. Wish I could say what it was that I did right, but it must have been something, because I won, albeit by a whisker. Or maybe she just made a couple more errors than I did. There was some discussion of a third set during one of our little chatfests on the change during the second set.

I must be about the only person in the world who relishes the thought of playing a third set. Almost every match, I think to myself that it would be nice if we can get another set tacked on. Usually I even entertain throughts of that even if I am dead tired. But I do have to admit that every once in a while I am so beat that I barely make it to the end of the second set. Still, it didn't happen on this night.

No comments: