my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An Untimely End

Set 466:

Stuart v. J. at Austin High. Winner: Stuart 6-2, retired.

My Mojo: Edgy; Willing To Take Some Risk.

This started out really weird. For some reason, I thought the match was at South Austin Tennis Center. I got there, and he was not there. Shoot, I thought, I don't have his phone number. But the tennis center had it, and they let me call him. I felt like an idiot when he told me it was at Austin High. So I rushed over there in awful traffic, but still only managed to be about ten minutes late. Well, I've had people be much later that that with me before, so I'm doing OK on the lateness karma thing. Still, it was my goof.

When I got there, we warmed up quickly, but I waspretty much ready to play. My lateness made me feel kind of edgy in my play. Not a bad, jittery edgy, but a fun, willing-to-take-risks edgy. I hit of experimental shots that were not my usual style at all, but still managed to hold onto consistency. I won the first set. I wouldn't say it was all that easy, but the score was kind of lopsided.

Then my opponent said he felt sick and couldn't continue. I told him I hated to win that way, and he said he just didn't feel like he could keep going. So I won by forfeit/retirement. Too bad we didn't get to play it out; maybe another time when he feels better.

No comments: