my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Wizard Of Oz Shows Up For A Game

Sets 357-358:

Stuart v. S. at Caswell. Winner: Stuart 6-0, 6-1.

My Mojo: Decent.

I almost hate to play someone when it's this mismatched. But I figure if it was me getting the short send of the stick here, and somebody was whomping me this badly, that I'd not only want to squeeze every drop of juice out of the match, but I'd be wanting to play four or five sets. But I'm just a "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" kinda guy.

And I always get something out of a match. If I'm the higher ranked player, and I'm not in danger, then I try new stuff. Here I was mostly trying out some extremely weird serves to see if they worked. Most of them kinda did. And I figure unless I'm winning every single shot (or the other player is), then there is still room for improvement. My opponent did win one game. She told me to talk about that one in my blog. So here it is.

I had won the first set fairly easily, with no real flashy shots, but just trying for solid stuff that got across the net. In the second set, I was up by quite a bit; I think it was 4-0. Then S. just came back and started hitting really solidly. She started returning everything and for some reason I was on the defensive through the whole game. It was as if my play just melted away for one game--the Wizard of Oz in his full glory came to threaten me with his intimidating bluster before I discovered the man behind the curtain. I was really trying hard, too, and before I knew it, I was down 40-15. I thought I had a chance to catch up, even if it meant winning four points in a row, but NOOO... I lost the next point and lost the game. I know that kind of thing would provide a moral victory for me if I was being outplayed that badly, and I bet it did for my opponent.

Anyway, she said she would sic her husband on me, as he is really good. I'm waiting for the email...

No comments: