my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Friday, September 14, 2012

Can't Believe I Got To Play Today

Man, the rain has come to knock out our drought.  It is awesome.  But it knocked out tennis for the group last night and I thought it was going to foreclose on the courts tonight too.

But after pouring like mad all morning, all of a sudden it let up.  It didn't rain for two hours after lunch, and when I looked at the radar, there was a big hole opening up for just about all of Austin.  It was cloudy but not raining.

I was so sure it was going to rain that I didn't even take my racquets to work with me to go play afterwards.  So when it turned out that it was going to be OK to play after all, I had to haul ass home, change and get my racquets, and peel out to the courts.  I got there to Austin High just in time and hit with one guy for a while.  Then he texted some more people that it was great on the courts, and one by one, they started filtering in.

The weather was awesome, too.  After all of this searing heat, it was nice to have a breezy cold front blow in and bring us cool weather.  We mixed it up a bunch with doubles and singles; when I played singles, it was like I was hitting with magic.  My shots were going right where I wanted them to go, with just the right amount of spin and power.  I was smacking the crap out of the ball and playing offensively when my usual game is defensive.  And I was lined up almost perfectly for every shot.  It was awesome.  I won most of the singles, except for one which was a tie.

Wish I could say it was the same for the doubles.  It was like night and day in one of the pairings.  I didn't coordinate well with one of my partners.  I was hitting totally off, and just not reading anything well.  Luckily the frustration was momentary.

It's starting to get darker even earlier now....I started hitting about 5:30 and stayed there until 8:00...we played until about the last minute I could have played and still could see the ball.

1 comment:

Stuart Gourd said...

High of 72 degrees today...what more could we ask for?