my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Friday, August 10, 2007

Some Unexpected Play

Stuart v. M at the Quarries. Winner: Stuart 6-6, retired.

My Mojo: Pretty Good.

I had not expected to play any more this month. But I forgot to take myself off the next round of the ladder, and I was surprised and shocked to get an email from the guy who ran the ladder saying that the next round had been posted. I knew immediately that I had been scheduled. So I emailed my opponents today to see if they could play by this weekend. M. responded and said he could play tonight.

We had a tough almost-set. Of course, I don't get to count this as a set toward my goal because it didn't quite finish. Oh well, I didn't expect to play anyway. He started out ahead 3-0, even though I felt they were close games with good rallies. Then I won the next two games to bring it to 3-2. I thought I was doing well in the next game, but then again, I thought I was doing well in the first three until I lost them. I lost the next game on his ad when a ball rolled on the court and I got distracted, and missed the shot. I uttered some words of disdain, and he asked me if I wanted to call a let. I didn't think that would be fair since the point had already ended without me calling it, so I said no.

So now the score was 4-2. I decided I needed to play more aggressively and won the next game on really good serves. They all went in hard and fast, and he didn't get any points off of them. I think he only returned one, and It was placed weakly enough for me to keep a strong advantage. Then I won the next two games to bring the score to 5-4.

I started losing focus after that, and he started getting everything back with strong placement. He won the next two games to bring the score to where he was ahead 6-5, though these were the longest two games that we played, with long rallies, and one game had lots of deuces and ads back and forth.

Then I won the next game easily to bring the score to 6-6. I expected to play a tiebreaker and was ready to do so and was feeling strong and aggressive. But he suddenly announced that he was not feeling well and had to retire. I was kind of surprised because he seemed like he was playing pretty strongly and didn't show any outward signs of feeling ill. But we shook hands (I have been reflexively putting out my left hand now and shaking upside down), and I wished him recovery and good luck in this other ladder match.

No comments: