my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Kick Me

Sets 515-517:

Stuart v. M. at Little Stacy Park. Winner: Stuart 6-1, 2-6, 6-1.

My Mojo: What The ?

This guy had a kick serve like I had never seen before. I mean, I've seen kick serves, but this one had an underspin that just made it bounce in unpredictable directions, and I was constantly hitting it out of position. This gave him a tremendous offensive advantage on me, and I was scrambling to keep up.

In the first set, I was able to take a pretty significant advantage, eve though I was battling some significant nausea. My stomach was goinberserk on me, but I was still able to hold the set together. The weak stomach went away by the end of the first set, though.

But I lost my mojo in the second set, and could not bang his slammers back consistently. And the nausea came back really strongly toward the end of the second set. This time, I couldn't fight my way through it. It was really kicking my butt.

In the third set, I rallied. Although all of the sets were lopsided score-wise, the games really seemed more competitive than it showed in the score. There were a lot of really good rallies and some excellent strategic moves. Also, there were some definite pull-it-out-of-the-can moments for both of us where we had points that went back and forth on returns that nobody would have predicted that either of us would get back. All in all, a very good two-hour tour.

No comments: