my goal was to play 365 sets of tennis in a year AND I DID IT!!!!!

Click on My Jukebox to listen to some of the music I have written

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Digging My Own Grave

Sets 422-423:

Stuart v. K. at South Austin Tennis Center. Winner: K. 6-3, 6-1.

My Mojo: Doomed.

This was not my absolute worst play, but if this match was a calculus problem, you might call it a "local minimum." Definitely a low point in my portfolio. My rhythm just seemed a bit off for most of the match, so I was hitting the tape a lot and getting a lot of shots that were just barely out. I was also getting an incredible number of mishits on my racquet; I was hitting the rim, miscalculating spin, and missing the sweet spot WAY too much. I was also not able to get to the net much at all, and when I did, I managed to goof it up. I guess it's just brain damage creeping up on me. No wait, maybe it's everything else that is damaged and the brain is watching in horror...

I can't say it all went completely badly, though. I got some good shots in occasionally. Also, when he rushed to net, sometimes I got some good lobs and passing shots when I was able to set my footwork and my body position correctly. But my messed-up rhythm was affecting my attitude more and more, and it all led to a grinding spiral into the drainpipe. Toward the end, I wasn't hitting good shots, and my attitude was deteriorating, so it all created a feedback loop of black noise that wrapped around me and crunched me like a hungry anaconda. I was just doomed from the get-go.

No comments: